Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Global Warming Examined

William Tucker at The American Spectator, talks about climate change in reasonable terms. We know warming is happening, but how much of it is humanity responsible for, we have no real way of knowing.

"What finally occurred to me is that maybe both are right. It's possible that the sun forces a 1500-year cycle of warming and cooling and that recent carbon emissions from industrial civilization are exaggerating the pattern. That would suggest there's nothing too unusual about the recent pattern (everybody agrees it's getting warmer), but carbon emissions could still be playing a part. "

Tucker is an advocate of nuclear power, and trying to unite conservatives (avoid oil) and liberals (avoid coal & warming). I guess I'd fall into the conservative camp on this. I think we do need ways to burn coal in a cleaner fashion, which we are certainly working on.

2 comments:

James Aach said...

You might find RadDecision.blogspot.com interesting if you'd like more background in electriicty generation and nuclear in particular. doesn't cover clean coal though, I'm afraid.

Kalthalior said...

I'll check it out, thanks for the tip.