Friday, April 13, 2007

Bill's Back

Internet essayist Bill Whittle is back at his blog, Eject!Eject!Eject. This time around he takes on the convoluted logic (or lack thereof) presented by crazy conspiracy theorists. Read the whole thing (like always, he goes on at some length, but it's definitely worth it) at the link above when you have some time on your hands.

"But if I didn’t have that sense of identity rooted in my own small achievements, I wonder how likely it would have been for me to grab onto that sense of sudden empowerment, of being an initiate in some arcane club of hidden wisdom. I wonder what might have happened to me if being the Holder of Secret Knowledge had been my only source of self-esteem…the one redeeming landmark in a life of isolation and failure. Indeed, I wonder what power such a worldview would have over me if I could believe that behind the scenes lurked vast and unknowable dark forces – forces that could topple a president and perhaps even explain why a person of my deep, vast and bountiful talents was not doing a whole lot better in life?"

Another spectacular takedown, and he notes a worrisome penchant for people to belief this sort of tripe as well, and thanks Hollywood for the popular indoctrination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am most likely just nit picking but the only thing I would disagree with Bill is at the end he criticizes the dramatists. To me if you are going to blame them then you need to blame ever author who writes about an alternative reality. For me I prefer to blame those who cant come back to what is reality. Everything else he says I agree with.