Friday, November 10, 2006

Blue Dog Coalition

I'm hoping this will be the last political post for awhile, but you never know.

With a lot of the commentary out on news and blog sites, I thought I'd investigate a group I'd heard of but never really checked out. The "Blue Dog" (conservative)Democrats organization in the House.

"The Coalition was formed in the 104th Congress as a policy-oriented group to give moderate and conservative Democrats in the House of Representatives a common sense, bridge-building voice within the institution...The Coalition has been particularly active on fiscal issues, relentlessly pursuing a balanced budget and then protecting that achievement from politically popular "raids" on the budget."

Apparently, there is some signs of intelligent life within the Democratic party. Unfortunately, it all seems to appear to be off the Committee Chair list, but I guess we'll find out in January. These guys DO sound like my kind of Democrats - the kind that my Great-Grandfather was, the kind that Joe Lieberman, Zell Miller and Jim Exxon are and were. Grandpa's favorite President: Harry Truman. 2nd favorite: Ronald Reagan. The Coalition lists 37 members, but looks to add quite a few more with this year's election results. One gentleman not returning: Harold Ford on Tennessee, the only Swing state Democrat to lose their Senate race.

I really wish they would publish some policy statements so I could examine where they stand on issues a bit better. But they appear on the surface to have some of the same values I hold, and could team with the R's in the House to get things moving in that chamber, particularly if Mike Pence (of the Republican Study Group) or John Shaddegg wind up being Minority Leader, which appears likely. At least Denny Hastert isn't going to be any more, which I view as a good thing.

Edit: It seems Larry was thinking the same thing I was, and said it first. I usually hit his site everyday, but missed yesterday. Nice to see great minds thinking alike, though.

No comments: