Thursday, August 30, 2007

Fred Thompson Interview at CQ

Ed Morrissey at Captain's Quarters interviewed Fred Thompson at the Minnesota State Fair for his radio show, and has posted the transcript. While they only had time for a couple of questions, I thought this one was a good indicator of why I support this candidate.

"EM: Well, speaking of that (The global war and the US role in the world) Senator, you’ve got a lot of commentary about your sober, realistic tone that you took in Indianapolis, yesterday or the day before, is that the type of campaign you want to bring to people to hear some tough truths to prepare us for the battles ahead?

FT: Well, let’s just say that the rah-rah stuff has its time and place and I’m not above a little of that from time to time but that’s not why I am where I am right now. Life is too short, the difficulties facing our country are too serious, not to tell the truth about what we’re going to have to do as a nation. It’s sober in a way but it’s optimistic in a way. It’s not optimistic not because of the world we see around us but because we think we can do something about it, that we can do better. That’s the source of my optimism. And I’m not going to shy away from the facts; I’m not going gear myself to try to get a party applause line every second or third sentence I make. Republicans and well as the rest of the American people need to come together on the fact that we have some tough choices ahead of us and the one thing that is not sustainable is our current path with regard to our attitude toward global conflicts and with regard to our attitude toward our economic future, current trends and our attitude with regard of what it’s going to take to do better; and that’s unity of the American people."

Ed goes on to relate (in reponse to a question from a commenter) how well people responded to Fred and how much he appeared to like talking with people at the event.

"I was impressed with his warmth and sincerity, both with me and with the crowd. I talked a bit about this during my show that day, but the crowd clearly sensed his approachability and his geniality. He did not strike me as someone going through the motions, but as a man who genuinely enjoys interacting with people, even the press."

I am eagerly awaiting the announcement, which will hopefully occur right after the holiday.

No comments: