Friday, April 28, 2006

Lincoln Paper's Endorsements

LJS endorses Osbourne over Gov. Dave and Nabity. I'm a little surprised, but I think the paper is trying to go with the winner. The comments left by readers are a bit amusing in spots. The argument that a football coach can't make a good governor ignores the fact the man is a 3 term Congressman, as well as a long term educator with a ton of experience in management, social issues with youth and dealing with journalists. It also flies in the face of common sense; being elected to political office doesn't, or shouldn't, require any particular expertise, or so those ignorant Founding Fathers thought. My perspective is that we shouldn't have a permanent political class.


The paper also goes with Mr. Ricketts here, touting his extensive business experience, and also taps military hero Shane Osborn (no relation) for State Treasurer. I have to admit I like the lineup for the most part. While I doubt Ricketts can beat Senator Nelson, he's probably the best equipped to make it a close fight. If Osborn wins the Treasurer primary, the job will be his as the Dems have no candidate.

No comments: